Otterknits: Purls from the River

She knits and reads a lot...and sometimes writes about it!

Name:
Location: Florida, United States

Bookworm, beginner-intermediate knitter , Medieval recreationist, former Hawaii resident, & francophile.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Hello


Well, here I go again. Take 2.

What do I mean? Well, I was trying to start a knitting blog on another site, but I was totally lost on how to work it, so I went out searching for an easier place to start. I like this one so far. It has commenting ability. I mean, how can I get help if people can't comment?

So, I'm going to reprise my posting from there on here, and see if I get any suggestions:

My digital camera battery went kaput, so I can only post what I have picture of from a while ago, but hopefully my gallery of FOs will enlarge.

So, who else is in on the Knitting Olympics? I am, but in a different way. I have decided that I am going to try to bust some of my stash to make room for higher quality yarns to move in. So, to that end, so far I have cast on a Basketweave Dishcloth in baby blue Cottontots. That's a nice yarn to work with, much easier on me than Kitchen Cotton tends to be.

What else is on the needles? A pair of Twisted Rib Socks in Magic Stripes Regatta Blue Stripe. This is my second attempt with this yarn. I had first done the basic Magic Stripe sock pattern, but realized almost at the toe that I had dropped a stitch at the beginning of the gusset. I tried to ladder it up, but to no avail, due to the tightness of the knitting. Being somewhat Type A, in my knitting inexperience, I frogged the whole thing, chalked it up to experience, and looked for a more interesting pattern.

I'm also working on my first real cable project, Steam, a lovely reversible cable rib scarf. I'm doing it in the only skein of Fisherman's Wool in my stash which was grabbed up in disbelief out of the clearance bin at Joann's fabric. It was a slightly abused skein, but all mine! It is a gift for a friend who is introducing the DH and I to the wonders of managing your money. I believe anyone who contributes to a lack of guilt when going to the yarn shop definitely deserves a gift of hard-to-find yarn.

I also have a mostly abandoned Pi Shawl (like Wendy's) in gorgeous Mallard Baby Alpaca by Aurora. I got to the part where I was supposed to move the beginning of round marker, etc. I don't know if I was doing it wrong, but I couldn't get the repeats of the lace pattern to work out properly, and being as attached to symmetry as I am; it was buried. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of frogging it completely and using a different shawl pattern altogether...I have many bookmarked, and am still waffling.

Arg. I need to go knit something...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home