Otterknits: Purls from the River

She knits and reads a lot...and sometimes writes about it!

Name:
Location: Florida, United States

Bookworm, beginner-intermediate knitter , Medieval recreationist, former Hawaii resident, & francophile.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Victorious!

I have vanquished the evil lace monster! HaHA!

How did I do it? Well, let me spin you a tale...

After much deliberating and poring over patterns on the internet and in my Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine, I came to the conclusion that the Pi shawl had to go. My frustration with it was too intense for me to fuss with it further, and I needed to maybe start with an easier first lace project.

That being said, I frogged that sucker. Ahhhhhh...you know, sometimes, ripping out a project just feels good. I will eventually revisit this pattern, but right now, rippit rippit.

What I decided on for my new attempt, after much thought, was something small. Something "easy", something in the realm of attainable. I chose "Branching Out". Only 5 pattern rows...looks pretty straightforward...and I have all that Pi experience to draw from. This should be a breeze. I cast on with my lovely laceweight alpaca.

Note to self: Do not watch any Wallace and Gromit while attempting to figure out a new lace pattern, even if it is only over 25 stitches. Even if you think it is "okay" because Gromit even knits in the episode you are watching (The Wrong Trousers), it is Not. It was cute, however, that my DH elbowed me and pointed out that Gromit was knitting. You see, the corruption begins...muhahahahaha!

Back to the lace. You will note on the pattern instructions that this is not only recommended for new knitters, but the motif is described as "easy" and the pattern "fairly simple". Be very sure, my dears, that these descriptions can only apply if you are not A) starting it in a distracted state, B) not exhaustedly knitting into the wee hours in a pathetic game of "chicken" with the lace pattern.

Is it just me, or did anyone else get their okole soundly kicked multiple times by row 7? I would hate to think I am the only one...I must have frogged and reknit up to that point 7 times that night before finally conceding the field to the victor...Lace Monster. (But I'll be back!...)

So, last night, I dragged my stuff with me and grabbed a skein of acrylic worsted to swatch with, when I was summoned to the Fire Station to bring the DH some supplies he needed for working on his truck. I would conquer this pattern, by george...and of course, I had never been able to find any mention of errata or other knitters having this issue online, so I figured it must be the knitter, and not the pattern.

Sally forth!

So, I got out my acrylic and cast on...row 1 good....row 6, 31 stitches, good...row 7, 28 stitches...crap! Rippit...

Tried again...crap!

Had to leave the station, on the way home ordered a petite Chinese Chicken salad & cup of Broccoli cheese soup from Mimi's Cafe for pickup...yum!

Got home, ate and attacked...

Victory!!!!! I have vanquished the evil Lace Monster!!! Of course, the problems were all me, but I discovered and fixed what I was doing wrong all by myself! I feel so smart. I was performing the double decreases incorrectly, or adding an extra YO or something. Whatever I did when I wasn't paying attention, I finally fixed. And to prove it wasn't a fluke...I did it again!!! Yaaaay!

***(band plays "Hooray for the Red, White & Blue" in the background)

Yaaaaay!!! Victory!!!! Now to try it with the alpaca...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home